Summer High School Program
Pre-register for 2017 below!
If you dream about becoming an animator, game designer, entertainment engineer or sound designer, now is your chance to begin realizing that dream. Spend the summer building the skills you need to enter these highly-specialized, exciting career fields; earn transferable* college credit; interact with world-class Cogswell College faculty and make lasting friendships.
Choose from a variety of courses representing several of our degree programs while you study alongside our undergraduate students for ten weeks. The classes you take are part of our regular curriculum so you can explore what learning at a college level is really like. Our small class sizes and project-based learning environment are designed to help you succeed.
Experience our exciting, hands-on classes such as:
- This course introduces the fundamentals of drawing. Students learn basic skills and techniques for drawing from direct observation using subjects such as still life, landscape and architecture. Perceptual skills and the use of line, shade, perspective, and composition are developed. Analysis of drawings, critiques and classroom discussions build vocabulary and enrich the students' understanding of drawing.
- 2D Design
- Students are introduced to the principles of two-dimensional image making with an emphasis on visual communication. They utilize the elements and principles of design while working with traditional and digital media. Students will analyze the form and function of design, various principles of perception and Gestalt theory. The importance of presentation and craftsmanship is emphasized.
- Desktop Production Fundamentals (Audio)
- Introduction to the software, methods and practices of desktop audio and music production, video editing and content delivery. Topics include an overview of computing basics, managing and processing of media, content creation and rendering audio and video files to disk. Methods for online publishing and preparation for on-the-air broadcasting are explored.
- Introduction to Game Production
- Introduction to video game development and various project production models and team structures through lectures, discussions and simple game projects. Lessons learned from studying project post-mortems, case studies and employing various tools, techniques and strategies will develop skills in ideation, iteration, troubleshooting, risk assessment, adaptation, communication, team management, organization and leadership.
- Introduction to Scripting: Python
- This class is a practical introduction to programming, using Python programming language. Topics include the concepts of declarative (“what”) versus imperative (“how”) programming, problem breakdown, and solution techniques. Basic subjects and terms in computer science will be introduced, such as data-structures, efficiency of a program, object-oriented programming, and Model-View-Controller paradigm. Emphasis is put on the syntax of the programming language, and the process of starting with a problem and writing a program to solve it. Students will implement several small programming projects during the course.
- Web Programming: HTML5
- Introduction to Mobile Programming, iOS
Mobile is everywhere, and programming for mobile devices has specific characteristics that put it apart from traditional setting. Small displays, small code footprint, adherence to View-Control-Model architecture, availability on different platforms, use of location-aware services and other sensors, and so forth. This course will involve hands-on application implementation for mobile platform. We will focus on native programming (using Objective C) on iOS platforms.
- Communicating for Success
Students are taught the essential techniques for communicating effectively in the digital media industry as well as portfolio management. This course walks students through thinking critically as well as the application of about communication theory to gain key management skills such as communicating with constituencies, writing memos and emails, communicating ethically, listening and giving feedback, introduction to negotiation and working in groups, and giving presentations.
The High School Summer Program is $499 per course.*Summer pricing is not applicable to other semesters.
• The Summer High School Program is exclusive to high school juniors and seniors who are currently enrolled full-time in a High School. Home schooled students may be eligible if they meet full-time high school enrollment requirements.
• Each of these courses leads to 3 credit units of college level course work and upon successful completion can be transferred to Cogswell College's 4 year degree programs.
• Class capacity capped at 20 students
• Class cost does not include supplies.
• Spots to be allotted by grade (priority for seniors) and on a first come first served basis. An Admissions Advisor will contact you to assist you with the registration process if your application has been accepted.
• For further details, please call 408-498-5100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
*Subject to grades, time limits and program choice. Not all courses may be available due to enrollment limitations and are subject to change.
Read about Cogswell's program with Independence High School here.